Tuesday, July 5, 2016

My Secret Corner

Rocking back and forth, I feel the refreshing breeze on my face. This is my secret place on campus, - the rocking chair  in a  corner of the Saybrook College courtyard. The wooden chair is worn and weathered. I can feel the age of it when touching its rough surface. There is a blue canvas painted with black flowers that serves as an awning and prevents me from fainting in the sun. When I lift  up my cup of black tea from the drink holder beside me, my casual afternoon starts.

The tree in front of me is thick and tall enough to conceal me. Since it can still let in some sunshine through the dark and light green interwoven leaves, the sun dapples the ground. Being seven stairs above the courtyard, I can clearly see what people are doing in the courtyard while they cant not see me. They chat joyfully with bubble laughter, take photos of the remarkable architecture, or walk quickly through on their way to class. By seeing them, I feel like a spy.
When the wind starts to blow, birds fly away from the tree making a feathery music. The leaves rustle in the wind and sparkle under the sunlight. Yellow and brown dried leaves on the ground  fly and dance in the wind. The whole courtyard looks like a party held by nature.



My back rests against the wooden chair comfortably and my legs are crossed. Feeling extremely relaxed, I close my eyes and take a deep breath; I hear different tones from two species of birds twittering at the same time, creating  a harmonious duet. Suddenly, the bell rings, and my whole world moves with the solemn sound. After the bell rings, I continue to rock on my chair, undisturbed. This is my secret corner; it always leaves me relaxed and pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment